Send an E-Postcard of:
Armory, Greenfield, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This State Armory was built in 1910 for Greenfield's Company L, 2nd Massachusetts Infantry, established as part of the Massachusetts State Guard during the Spanish American War. Its dedication was an imposing military display with 1100 in attendance (including Massachusetts Governor Draper and his staff). The Armory's strong, fortress-like appearance only reinforced its military purpose and its importance within the community. During World War II Company L was sworn into the regular Army. Its eighty-two enlisted men and four officers were on barracks duty for a short while in the Armory before leaving for further training. The building now serves as the recruiting station for the Army National Guard.
top of page