Send an E-Postcard of:
High Times at the M. A. C.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Construction of the Old Chapel at the Massachusetts Agricultural College (now the University of Massachusetts Amherst) was begun in 1884 and completed in 1888. Built of granite from Pelham and brownstone from East Longmeadow, the building has an impressive clock tower which also housed a bell that was affectionately known as "Old Aggie." The Old Chapel housed the college's first library on the first floor, and the second floor is a hall that seats 600 people. The idea of flying captured the imaginations of people during the early part of the twentieth century. The woman and man who are flying over the campus are in a fanciful aircraft.
top of page