Send an E-Postcard of:
Congregational Church and Sheldon Academy, Southampton, Mass
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
In 1730, Southampton, Massachusetts, was established as a precinct of Northampton and thirty families drew land grants. Southampton was incorporated as a district in 1753 and as a town in 1775. In the 1750s, Silas Sheldon came to town as the schoolmaster. Later, Sheldon gave the town a gift of $2,500 for the establishment of Sheldon Academy. Many towns in New England have a Congregational Church in the center of town, most painted white like this one.
top of page