Send an E-Postcard of:
The Park, South Hadley, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Originally part of the colonial town of Hadley, South Hadley became a district in 1753 and an official town in 1776. The town's transportation canal constructed around the Holyoke dam in the 1790s was the first navigable canal in the country. This Civil War Monument is in the center of the Commons. It was given to South Hadley by William H. Gaylord who also donated the Gaylord Memorial Library. South Hadley is the home of Mount Holyoke College, oldest continuously operating institution of higher education for women which was founded as Mount Holyoke Seminary in 1837.
top of page