Send an E-Postcard of:
Frary House at Open House
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
When, in 1926, the people of Deerfield, Massachusetts, needed to raise money for care of the new cemetery at Laurel Hill, the residents arranged to open fifteen of the old houses to the public. More than 5000 visitors poured into town to inspect the houses and the 100-year-old brick meeting house. Admission was charged and $3700 was raised. This photograph depicts lines of guests waiting to tour the 1760 "Frary House." This was the first time the old houses had been opened to the public and testifies to the impact of the Colonial Revival in doing just that - reviving interest in the colonial period.
top of page