Send an E-Postcard of:
South Deerfield Grammar School
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
When the 1860 wooden clapboard schoolhouse in South Deerfield, burned in 1888, it was replaced with a larger brick building. The building sits on the corner of Main and Conway Streets. Concern about fire led many towns in New England to use more fire resistant brick for construction of their schoolhouses.
<BR>This building since 1979 has housed the senior center. Previous uses include the Tom Ashley Post No. 229 of the American Legion, Clapp-Hale V.F.W. Post No. 3295, Precinct A election site, town offices, a night school for immigrants to learn English, and a meeting place for Boy Scouts.
<BR>A newer elementary called Mount Sugarloaf school was built in 1913 on Conway Street to accommodate up to 350 students. It was off the main street on Conway Street and had 8 classrooms, a big playground and better ventilation. This 1913 school is now gone, being torn down in the 1990s to build a new police station. Its addition is used for the town hall offices.
top of page