Send an E-Postcard of:
Main St. looking west from Mansion House
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
On the right, the Mansion House Block extends along Main Street. In the center, the Franklin Savings Bank's white stone front marks the corner of Franklin and Main Street. When the Savings Bank was built in 1911, it replaced the Corner Store Block, a building which housed, among other stores, a series of photographers' studios. The Mansion House Block was the site of the Corse "Fort," a building erected by James Corse around 1720 that became a tavern. Through the next century and a half, the site was the location of a number of stores, taverns, and the post office. In 1828, a brick hotel was built there, the core of what would become the Mansion Block. That building was extended and added to in 1857 and 1873, and each time was thoroughly renovated. It stood until January, 1959, when a devastating fire ruined the building beyond repair. A building stands there now.
top of page