Trombone manufactured by Charles W. Hutchins' company of Springfield, Massachusetts, established in 1883, which produced brass instruments, banjos, and mandolins. Charles W. Hutchins was born in Greenfield, Massachusetts, in 1860 and he died in 1926. The trombone was possibly owned by Major A. Frank Hutchins (1846-1932) of Deerfield, Massachusetts. Charles W. Hutchins was third cousin to A. Frank Hutchins, noted bandmaster and cornet soloist of Deerfield. In 1880, Major A. Frank Hutchins was commissioned a major in charge of all the National Guard bands of the state of New York, a position which he held for 11 years.